Shooting Holes in the Moon

I'm a cipher wrapped in an enigma covered with secret sauce. - Stephen Root

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

noodlings

Your faithful blogger recently discovered some old drawings and illustrations I made on my old Gateway PC when I was living a sad, lonely existence in Kansas. These were made with the Microsoft Paint app that came with Windows at the time (what in the name of Bill Gates came before Windows 98, anyway? I can't remember for the life of me!) As you can see, my drawings focused on my childhood fascination with spaceships and UFOs. Not sure what that means, but I suppose it does prove that my master's degree in art history had little effect on my own artistic aspirations!

Tony recommended two books I'm excited to pick up: Long Way Back by Brendan Halpin, and King Dork by Frank Portman. I'm in the middle of re-reading Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality by Donald Miller. It's essentially the tale of the author's "faith journey" (how I despise that phrase!) - from his allegiance to a "slot-machine God" to his loss of faith and subsequent rediscovery. Miller is an engaging writer, and the book is full of great quips, stories, and insights that are both amusing and worthy of reflection. His style is very down to earth - many of his chapters begin with sticky, quotidian things like money or lonliness. It's clear from the start that Miller is liberal, which I'm sure will turn off many readers. He's also painfully honest about his own doubts. But by the same token he makes a convincing case for Christianity's enduring appeal - the faith, that is, not the bureaucracy. I'm not doing it much justice, but trust me - it's a good read - especially if you find yourself asking the "big questions" or are on your own journey.

5 Comments:

  • At 8:02 AM, Blogger LeAnn said…

    I love rediscovery - sometimes even more than discovery. You are such a fun person. I love that you posted your pics.

     
  • At 8:45 AM, Blogger LeAnn said…

    Oh, and wasn't Windows 95 the predecessor to Windows 98?

     
  • At 12:08 PM, Blogger Mike Willis said…

    Ok, smarty pants. You're right. But riddle me this: what came before Windows 95? :-)

     
  • At 9:12 PM, Blogger LeAnn said…

    Stone & chisel... right???

     
  • At 9:43 AM, Blogger LeAnn said…

    This is kind of rough & vague:

    1980 - QD OS 0.1
    1981 - PC-DOS 1.00
    1982 - MS-DOS 1.24
    1985 - Windows 1.0
    1987 - Windows 2.0
    1989 - Windows NT*
    1990 - Windows 3.0
    1992 - Windows 3.1
    - Windows 4 Chicago
    1993 - Windows 3.11
    1994 - Windows 95
    1998 - Windows 98
    - Windows 2000
    1999 - Windows Millennium Edition
    2001 - Windows XP*

    *Updated versions of these are still being created.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home