Shooting Holes in the Moon

I'm a cipher wrapped in an enigma covered with secret sauce. - Stephen Root

Thursday, May 25, 2006

the rapid demise of film

Canon announced today that they will no longer develop new film SLR cameras. However, according to this article, they will continue to sell current model SLRs "as long as their demand remains."

Although I own a Nikon digital SLR and love it, I'd be hard pressed to admit that the picture quality rivals film. Photographer Ken Rockwell has argued that in order for digital compare to 35 mm film, the cameras would need to be roughly 25 megapixels (compared with standard 6-8 today, with top-of-the-line models going up to 11). See Rockwell's argument here. This estimate is contested here.

We all saw film's demise coming (everyone except Kodak, that is), but it's still hard to believe that the tide is turning so quickly. I wonder long how long it will be before Target and Walgreens stop selling film altogether.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:21 AM, Blogger Nicky Story said…

    It was actually startling to me when you told me yesterday about Canon's discission. I feel a bit strange about it. The loss of film camera's is a huge thing. Although you know I love my digital, if I was going somewhere without the high power and computer storage I need, I would still use my film camera (though slightly painfully - just because I'm out of practice). But I know that it would come through! But then again, you know I don't like change! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home